1) Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,
2) in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago,
3) but at the proper time manifested, even His word, in the proclamation with which I was entrusted according to the commandment of God our Savior,
4) To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
5) For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you,
6) namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion.
7) For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,
8) but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled,
9) holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.
10) For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
11) who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.
12) One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
13) This testimony is true. For this reason reprove them severely so that they may be sound in the faith,
14) not paying attention to Jewish myths and commandments of men who turn away from the truth.
15) To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.
16) They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.
These Bible verses are for use within Helpmewithbiblestudy.org.
Scripture taken from the New American Standard Bible ®, Copyright © The Lockman Foundation 1960, 1962, 1963,
1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)