1) The LORD spoke further to Moses, saying,
2) "Make yourself two trumpets of silver, of hammered work you shall make them; and you shall use them for summoning the congregation and for having the camps set out.
3) "When both are blown, all the congregation shall gather themselves to you at the doorway of the tent of meeting.
4) "Yet if only one is blown, then the leaders, the heads of the divisions of Israel, shall assemble before you.
5) "But when you blow an alarm, the camps that are pitched on the east side shall set out.
6) "When you blow an alarm the second time, the camps that are pitched on the south side shall set out; an alarm is to be blown for them to set out.
7) "When convening the assembly, however, you shall blow without sounding an alarm.
8) "The priestly sons of Aaron, moreover, shall blow the trumpets; and this shall be for you a perpetual statute throughout your generations.
9) "When you go to war in your land against the adversary who attacks you, then you shall sound an alarm with the trumpets, that you may be remembered before the LORD your God, and be saved from your enemies.
10) "Also in the day of your gladness and in your appointed feasts, and on the first days of your months, you shall blow the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; and they shall be as a reminder of you before your God. I am the LORD your God."
11) Now in the second year, in the second month, on the twentieth of the month, the cloud was lifted from over the tabernacle of the testimony;
12) and the sons of Israel set out on their journeys from the wilderness of Sinai Then the cloud settled down in the wilderness of Paran.
13) So they moved out for the first time according to the commandment of the LORD through Moses.
14) The standard of the camp of the sons of Judah, according to their armies, set out first, with Nahshon the son of Amminadab, over its army,
15) and Nethanel the son of Zuar, over the tribal army of the sons of Issachar;
16) and Eliab the son of Helon over the tribal army of the sons of Zebulun.
17) Then the tabernacle was taken down; and the sons of Gershon and the sons of Merari, who were carrying the tabernacle, set out.
18) Next the standard of the camp of Reuben, according to their armies, set out with Elizur the son of Shedeur, over its army,
19) and Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai over the tribal army of the sons of Simeon,
20) and Eliasaph the son of Deuel was over the tribal army of the sons of Gad.
21) Then the Kohathites set out, carrying the holy objects; and the tabernacle was set up before their arrival.
22) Next the standard of the camp of the sons of Ephraim, according to their armies, was set out, with Elishama the son of Ammihud over its army,
23) and Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur over the tribal army of the sons of Manasseh;
24) and Abidan the son of Gideoi over the tribal army of the sons of Benjamin.
25) Then the standard of the camp of the sons of Dan, according to their armies, which formed the rear guard for all the camps, set out, with Ahiezer the son of Ammishaddai over its army,
26) and Pagiel the son of Ochran over the tribal army of the sons of Asher;
27) and Ahira the son of Enan over the tribal army of the sons of Naphtali.
28) This was the order of march of the sons of Israel by their armies as they set out.
29) Then Moses said to Hobab the son of Reuel the Midianite, Moses' father-in-law, "We are setting out to the place of which the LORD said, 'I will give it to you'; come with us and we will do you good, for the LORD has promised good concerning Israel."
30) But he said to him, "I will not come, but rather will go to my own land and relatives."
31) Then he said, "Please do not leave us, inasmuch as you know where we should camp in the wilderness, and you will be as eyes for us.
32) "So it will be, if you go with us, that whatever good the LORD does for us, we will do for you."
33) Thus they set out from the mount of the LORD three days' journey, with the ark of the covenant of the LORD journeying in front of them for the three days, to seek out a resting place for them.
34) The cloud of the LORD was over them by day when they set out from the camp.
35) Then it came about when the ark set out that Moses said,
"Rise up, O LORD!
And let Your enemies be scattered,
And let those who hate You flee before You."
36) When it came to rest, he said,
"Return, O LORD,
To the myriad thousands of Israel."
These Bible verses are for use within Helpmewithbiblestudy.org.
Scripture taken from the New American Standard Bible ®, Copyright © The Lockman Foundation 1960, 1962, 1963,
1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)