1) When Israel was a youth I loved him,
And out of Egypt I called My son.
2) The more they called them,
The more they went from them;
They kept sacrificing to the Baals
And burning incense to idols.
3) Yet it is I who taught Ephraim to walk,
I took them in My arms;
But they did not know that I healed them.
4) I led them with cords of a man, with bonds of love,
And I became to them as one who lifts the yoke from their jaws;
And I bent down and fed them.
5) They will not return to the land of Egypt;
But Assyria--he will be their king
Because they refused to return to Me.
6) The sword will whirl against their cities,
And will demolish their gate bars
And consume them because of their counsels.
7) So My people are bent on turning from Me.
Though they call them to the One on high,
None at all exalts Him.
8) How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I surrender you, O Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
My heart is turned over within Me,
All My compassions are kindled.
9) I will not execute My fierce anger;
I will not destroy Ephraim again
For I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst,
And I will not come in wrath.
10) They will walk after the LORD,
He will roar like a lion;
Indeed He will roar
And His sons will come trembling from the west.
11) They will come trembling like birds from Egypt
And like doves from the land of Assyria;
And I will settle them in their houses, declares the LORD.
12) Ephraim surrounds Me with lies
And the house of Israel with deceit;
Judah is also unruly against God,
Even against the Holy One who is faithful.
These Bible verses are for use within Helpmewithbiblestudy.org.
Scripture taken from the New American Standard Bible ®, Copyright © The Lockman Foundation 1960, 1962, 1963,
1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)