1) "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.
2) "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
3) "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4) "so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
5) "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
6) "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
7) "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.
8) "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
9) "Pray, then, in this way:
'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10) 'Your kingdom come
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
11) 'Give us this day our daily bread.
12) 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13) 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]'
14) "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15) "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
16) "Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
17) "But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face
18) so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
19) "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20) "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;
21) for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
22) "The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.
23) "But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
24) "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other You cannot serve God and wealth.
25) "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
26) "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
27) "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
28) "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,
29) "yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
30) "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
31) "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
32) "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33) "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34) "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
These Bible verses are for use within Helpmewithbiblestudy.org.
Scripture taken from the New American Standard Bible ®, Copyright © The Lockman Foundation 1960, 1962, 1963,
1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)